Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Memorial Day Oatmeal and Banana Obsession

This past Monday morning, Memorial day, I woke up with a major hankering for something with banana in it.  I had a bunch of bananas that were right at the “getting to nasty to do anything with” and I remember that I had a yummy recipe for some Banana oatmeal pancakes that I found in a magazine last year.  And after that, my search for using the rest of the bunch was on for the day.
Banana Oatmeal Pancakes
Ok they may sound kinda gross, but they are so good and filling
In a blender combine:
1 banana
1/4 rolled oats
2 tablespoons cottage cheese (see doesn’t that sound funky to be in pancakes? But I promise you its delish!)
2 egg whites
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Blend until smooth and stir in 2 teaspoons of chopped walnuts.  Heat a large skillet over medium heat and coat with nonstick cooking spray.  Pour batter into skillet to make two 4-inch pancakes. 
I always end up with more than two pancakes, but they can be frozen and reheated for a quick breakfast.  And the two pancakes are about 300 calories!
Individual “Banana Bread” Baked Oatmeal
This and the following recipes I picked up from Pintrest (seriously what a great site).  These are moist and delicious little muffins that clock in at about 145 calories per muffin (that is with all 12 tins filled.  The recipe says that it’ll make 9 but I was able to get 12 from my batter. Maybe I don’t fill them up as much as she does).  And these freeze great!  I take one out and put it in my bag for work, throw it in the microwave for about 20-30 seconds and a yummy breakfast Smile
2 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup nonfat milk (or “milk” of your choice)
2 medium bananas, mashed
1 large egg
2 tablespoons oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
Extras: nuts and chocolate chips (soooooo yummy!)
Spray cupcake tin with nonstick spray and preheat over to 350. In a large bowl stir together the oats, sugar, baking powder, and cinnamon until well combined.  In a separate bowl mash the bananas and add the milk, egg, oil and vanilla until combined.  Add to the dry ingredients and stir well.  Divide into tins (I just use a 1/2 cup measuring cup for the entire thing and I divide it up using between 1/4 to just under 1/2 cup for each tin).  Bake for about 20-25 minutes.
DSCN0135
Peanut Butter Oatmeal Squares
See what I mean about OB-SESSION!!!! This is a great one!  I mean who doesn’t love bananas and peanut butter?  Another great treat or even a quick breakfast bar, depending on how big you cut the squares (1/16th is about 85 calories!)
1 1/2 cup quick cooking oats
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup milk (or “milk” of your choice)
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 large mashed banana
1/4 cup smooth peanut butter
Lightly spray an 8”x8” metal baking pan (glass works too, you just have to cook it a little bit longer) and preheat the over to 350.
Mix together the oats, brown sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.  Add in the vanilla, milk and egg.  Mix until combined.  Then add in the mashed bananas and peanut butter.  Combine all ingredients and pour into pan. 
DSCN0129
Bake for about 20 minutes or until done.
DSCN0133
(Yes that is a corner missing.  I mean I HAD to try them out before posting it here)
So needless to say my place was smelling like banana bread all day long and I have been enjoying the fruits of my labor (hahaha get it…fruit…banana!)
But most importantly I want to thank the men and women who serve and have served our country to keep us free!  God Bless America!!!!!!

No comments: