Friday, November 28, 2008

My Thanksgiving dinner

So this year my mom trusted me with making Thanksgiving dinner! I was informed of this a few months ago when the church announced that they were going to have a Thanksgiving dinner. It was mainly to benefit the homeless in our community but families from our church also showed up and had dinner with them. They also had a clothing store (of course at no charge) and mobile showers so they could clean up. Mom and dad left their house at a little after 9 so I was left to start the turkey. It took me a few tries but I tied the turkey the way it looked familiar from the way mom would tie the wings back in the past, and I started stuffing and greasing away!

After a few hours it started smelling good, so things were looking great! I have to admit, I was very proud of myself. The gravy was coming along, the rolls were raising and looking fantastic and I had the eggs all boiled. I started peeling the eggs for Deviled Eggs, and that is the only time I became frustrated all day! Go figure not the turkey, not the stuffing, nothing but these stupid eggs! They looked horrible! The whites were peeling away with the shells. I tried everything, putting them in the fridge, running them under water while peeling, no water, not a lot of cracking, pulverising the shells, NOTHING worked! Finally I got to the point where I just gave up and decided I could save some of the eggs for the gravy and then put the nicest looking eggs out.

Mom and dad got home from church, Jason's family arrived and dinner was done! It was incredible! I no longer have any fears about making turkey and doing everything. I told mom I knew that she was always tired after Turkey day dinner, but now I know why she is always so tired.

1 comment:

Cindy said...

BEAUTIFUL!! I hope it tasted as good as it looked! :)

Helpful hint for eggs-as SOON as they are done, immerse them in cold water. They separate from the shells and it makes peeling MUCH easier!