Thursday, May 8, 2014

Round 2

I'm writing this post as I sit in my hospital bed, 2 days post op. Holy cow this round was a hell of a difference from the first surgery.
I'm normally a tough chick and very rarely cry from pain, but yesterday I reached my limit.  I was in the worst pain I have ever been in. It was the most excruciating pain I had ever experienced and the pain pump (aka a PCA or Patient Controlled Anethesia) I have wasn't helping.  Again mom spent the night with me and she went to go get the nurse to see what they could do. At that moment the doctors were making their rounds and the came in. I told them about the pain and they said they would give me a bolus of the pain medication as well as increase my pain pump.
They also did their regular exam on me but this round is a bit different.  I currently have 2 drains in me. 1 goes into my abdomen and acts as our little spy. It lets us know if anything wrong is going on in there depending on what the color of the output is. So far its been great and no issues.  The 2nd drain is on my bikini area. The doctors needed to make a larger incision to do the procedure,  and because of the size,  it is packed with a wicking type material.  This gets changed as needed.  Well when the doctors made their rounds, it needed to be changed.  Now remember,  I'm in the worst pain I've ever experienced.  The doctors decided to change the dressing and started pulling the adhesive away. I lost it! I started screaming in pain and told me to take a deep breath.  REALLY????? A deep breath? Yeah I wasn't having it at all. They proceeded to pull and I started screaming again. I think I may of scared the intern doctors. They finally stopped and said that we would get the pain under control and try again later in the afternoon.  The main doctor looked at me and asked if that would be alright and I replied "as long as you use adhesive removal wipes next time." She smiled and said that they would. WHY DIDN'T YOU BRING THEM IN THE 1ST PLACE ?!?!?!?!!?!?!?
After they left I got my pain meds and things started looking up and getting better.  I took a small walk and that got things flowing in my drain and my uninary catheter.
I was on a clear diet and ate everything they brought me and was drinking liquids thru the day, but my gut was taking its sweet time to wake up. Over night though it woke up and around 5ish this morning my bag was like a water balloon.  So happy about that! The sooner it starts working, the sooner I can start on a mechanical diet, which means soft food I can chew and not just broth, and the sooner I can get out of here.
So my goal today is to walk more than I did yesterday.  Last surgery I was walking laps around here, this time not so much, but I'm going to try!

1 comment:

Bekki@abetterwaytohomeschool said...

What a horrible day:(.
I think you should find those doctors in a few months, and cover them with duct tape...

Praying that in a even days you will hardly remember the pain and be home and recovering.

What a huge process. Praise God that it is 2014 and you have options like this to help you gain your life back!!